Genius Ways to Declutter & OrganizeColby Morrell
We’ve all considered the benefits of getting organized and getting rid of stuff: less to clean, more space, less stress, the list goes on. Simplifying our lives at home sounds great, but once the decision is made to get cracking, we get tripped on the next part…where to begin?
Getting organized and decluttering sounds like the very worst way to spend your free time, agreed. But this journey doesn’t need to be nearly as overwhelming as we all tend to make it. There are so many ways to get started and actually get work done without feeling like work. We’ve sought out some fun and creative ways to get your home into shape, check them out…
- Give away one item each day. This is a fun task because you get to give someone a gift and get rid of stuff at home that has been bogging you down. Do this for an entire year and you’ll have 365 less things lying around.
- Take the 12-12-12 Challenge. A simple task of locating 12 items to throw away, 12 items to donate, and 12 items to be returned to their proper home can be a really fun and exciting way to quickly organize 36 things in your house.
- Never leave a room empty handed. We all have stuff where it’s not supposed to be. Anytime you get up to mover across the house, take something with you that needs to be put up. This will keep things nice and orderly and clutter free!
- Try the Oprah Winfrey Closet Hanger Experiment. If Oprah does it, then we MUST too. While this idea didn’t originate with Oprah, she was the one to help give it notoriety. To identify wardrobe pieces to clear out, hang all your clothes with the hangers in the reverse direction. After you wear an item, return it to the closet with the hanger facing the correct direction. After six months, you’ll see what to keep and what to pitch!
- Fill one trash bag. The easiest way to declutter is simply to purge. Grab a trash bag and fill it with things you no longer want or need. This can be discarded as trash, recycled, or our favorite option: donated.
- Purchase containers for items. We all the stuff that we need access to but don’t use regularly. Buying stylish storage helps motivate you to put things up and to keep it organized.